Monday, February 6, 2012

Pop Culture Sidebar: The Voice

So, normally, I avoid singing competition shows like the plague.  This is not to say I am opposed to all reality shows.  America's Next Top Model is, in my opinion, a source of endless entertainment, although this is due mainly to Tyra Banks's obvious decline into madness and megalomania. (For proof, please refer to the season where she wore nothing but jumpsuits.)  What gets me about American Idol and its kin is those first few weeks of the season where they drag out all those poor, delusional people who quite obviously have no chance and let them humiliate themselves on national television.  Yes, yes, they choose to be there, I know.  It doesn't mean they have to air it.
It should come as no surprise then that I had no intention of watching The Voice last night after the Superbowl.  But the Superbowl ended and I didn't change the channel fast enough - the kiss of death for anyone watching reality-based programming - and suddenly there I was, entranced by the bright lights and Christina Aguilera's four-finger "XTINA" ring.  (I thought she stopped doing the XTina thing when she stopped wearing chaps on a regular basis. No?  I guess not.)   And strangely enough... I kind of liked it.  The singers were (gasp!) actually talented.  The judges - excuse me, coaches - actually seemed to have some real interest in these people and, even better, snarkily ranked on each other.  And snarkiness is one of my favorite things, like, ever
So now I have to decide whether to watch the 2-hour episode tonight or stick with my usual line-up (that line-up being House, which I watch out of obligation to Hugh Laurie, and Alcatraz, which I watch out of obligation to Sam Neill). 
So I ask: is it worth it? Shall I turn my back on Hugh and Sam, and turn my soul over to The Voice? Or do I run now, back to the sweet arms of scripted television?  What do I do?
And we haven't even started talking about Smash yet.

2 comments:

  1. Julia - I love this new feature. Keep it coming!! Can't wait to hear who win the battle of the Voice in your TV selections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! So far I'm watching both!

    ReplyDelete